November 9, 2011

ROUGH WEEKEND

I don't like to be the "woe is me" person, but I have to share this just because it is so surreal.
I started fall grass seeding at my work and it has been quite the adventure so far.
It took us 3 days in one field due to some unforeseen circumstances that arose, including but not limited to:
having to drive at 5 mph to the field,
learning where to set the seed cup feed rate
(this entailed about an hour or more of phone calls and frustration),
setting the feed rate too high and running short on seed,
more learning on the seed cup feed rate and a trip to the local grain elevator,
broken hydraulic hose,
wrong end put onto the hydraulic hose,
trip to town for a brand new hydraulic hose,
tractor driver seeding the wrong field,
hitting a fence post on the way out of the wrong field,
removing bent tire and not having the right tools to remove it,
and the big finale.....
getting the tractor and seeder stuck 50 yards from being completely done!!

This is where the surreal part comes into play.  We tried everything to pull out the tractor on our own with no luck at all.  We, my tractor driver and I, then went to town to ask around.  We "thought" we really got lucky when a county worker came into the local gas station and he said he would help us out.  We loaded up chains and led the brand new county blade out to our location just for him to get about 30 yards in and get stuck also!!!  I am well into meltdown mode at this point with no means to end in sight.  We, my tractor driver, the county worker and I, get into the truck and start searching for local farmers with possible tractors to help us all out.  The second farm we get to, we spot a tractor in behind the trees.  Straight into 4th gear we are after him.  Thank everyone we possibly can, he agrees to come help us with his HUGE buhler tractor.  This thing is massive!!  Also, lots of thanks to many that a local tree remover was around with some cables.  We shredded the first cable under the weight; my heart is coming out of my chest at this point.  The buhler pulled the plow out, our tractor and our grass drill out like they were wet towels.  It was amazing!  I have some many people to thank and no way to be able to actually thank them enough for everything and to do all of this on a Saturday, and to top that off it was opening weekend of deer season! Just typing about it stresses me out and makes me laugh because that is all that you can really do.  We are thankful that only a little blood was shed by myself loading the cables up and no equipment damaged.  Just crazy!!  Tomorrow I am taking a day of sanity to go shopping with my husband.  Is this really a sanity day or a continuation of insanity?  I will tell you on Friday!  :)
Did I just make your bad day seem good?
TJO

No comments:

Post a Comment